Friday, February 27, 2015

Maple Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza


I'll admit, I was a little skeptical at first.  Part of me said yum and part of me wondered if it would be a flop.  I'm always game for a new pizza creation though, so I gave it a try.  I was thrilled that the first part of me won with a definite "YUM"!  All the big guys loved it, as I thought they would.  It's hard to go wrong when bacon is involved, right?  I love savory/sweet combos, so I the mix of the sweet maple syrup with the salty meat and cheese totally a win.  The caramelized onions are fabulous too and have a fairly prominent taste.  My littles aren't big onion fans so I thought they'd pass.  I didn't actually tell them that it had onions on it and was shocked when they took their first bite, kept chowing down and ate the whole thing.  The whole flavor combination package is definitely a winner!  If you're going to make this, and I totally recommend you do, you have to splurge and get the good bacon.  Don't skimp here or you won't get the full joy that can be found in this pizza.  Trust me,  it'll totally be worth it!

Ingredients
1 uncooked pizza crust*
6-8 slices of bacon
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoon pure 100% maple syrup
3 TBS olive oil
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions
I always use my favorite homemade pizza crust* but you can use a store bought crust if you want.  (These directions are for the homemade crust.  Follow the baking directions that come with your crust, if you choose to use something else.)  Preheat oven to 500.  Place pizza stone (best choice) or pan in oven to preheat with the oven.  Cook the bacon in a frying pan.  Drain grease, saving about 2 tablespoons of it.  Return the 2 tablespoons of grease to pan and cook onions in grease over low-medium heat, until soft and translucent.  Cut up cooked bacon and place in small bowl.  Pour maple syrup over bacon and set aside.  Roll out pizza dough on parchment paper.  Drizzle olive oil over dough and spread around with a spoon.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over crust.  Add bacon and onions.  Top with parmesan cheese.  Carefully pull the hot stone or pan out of the oven, slide the parchment paper with the pizza onto the pan. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Brush crust with olive oil right after baking.

*This pizza crust recipe makes enough dough for 2 pizzas.

Source:  Carmel Moments

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

You are definitely the pizza connoisseur! Friday night pizza night at your household must be a pretty amazing event, lucky husband and kids! And with all our bacon lovers over here I'm sure this will be a hit!

Janessa said...

I am take having fun trying all these different pizza recipes! Stepping outside of the box is a good thing :) Hope your bacon lovers enjoy this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...