Thursday, February 5, 2015

{Baked} Sweet Potato Fries


Don't you just love it when you fall in love with a food that is totally healthy?!  That's what happened to me and sweet potatoes.  There are so many fabulous things you can do with them and as a bonus, they're one of those awesome super foods!  I have to say I prefer them in the savory zone, though I have had some dishes that play on the sweet side that are great too.  They're just so versatile!  I love to make oven roasted veggies with lots of sweet potatoes.  Because I like to pick out the sweet potatoes.  These sweet potato fries are kind of like that, but with only the sweet potatoes!  Oh, sweet, glorious sweet potato heaven!  And then there's this sauce that I recently discovered.  I've always been a hard core "fry sauce" kind of girl but this here takes it up a notch.  Definitely a must have with these (or any other) fries!  Okay, all of this sweet potato and fry sauce talk has got me hungry.  I think I'm going to have to go make me some more of these!

Ingredients:
2-3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into thin wedges or sticks/strips (you don't want them too thick or they will take forever to cook)
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste

dipping sauce:
⅓ cup mayo
⅓ cup ketchup
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (optional)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 450 and grease well with nonstick spray. Fill a medium-large pot half-way full with water. Bring to a boil on the stove over medium-high heat. When water reaches a rapid boil, add chopped sweet potatoes and boil for about 5 minutes until tender. Don't boil too long!  Drain and spread out on a paper towel to dry a bit.  After the potatoes are boiled and have had a chance to drain of excess water, add them to a large bowl (you could also do this with a ziplock bag) and toss with oil, being sure to coat all potatoes. Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with the seasonings - chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Bake 15-20 minutes until crispy. (I recommend using a fork or a thin spatula to turn the fries once or twice throughout the baking process to ensure all sides get crispy).  I like them crispy, so I after this, I turned the oven to broil and cooked them for 15 more minutes.

For the dipping sauce, whisk all ingredients together. Cover and chill until ready to use. Serve fries warm, with dipping sauce.

Source:  Creme De Le Crumb

4 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Ok- these look amazing!! They don't have sweet potatoes here, but I'm wondering if they would work with kumra...only 4 more months until I can cook with all my familiar ingredients!

Janessa said...

You'll have to try that. I'll but they're similar enough that it would work. Good luck!

Devilyn said...

A must try! I'm a little obsessed with them lately too. Devan also loves them so that helps.

Janessa said...

Way to spread the sweet potato love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...